Plastic recycling news
What can you do ?
Reduce what you buy. Before you make a purchase, ask yourself if you truly need it, or if you can repurpose other items that you already have. Shopping for secondhand clothing and products helps contribute to less waste. Try your best to avoid products that are wrapped in plastic, and seek more sustainable alternatives.
Reuse plastic items as much as possible or take to a secondhand store where possible so they don’t end up in landfill.
Recycle, why not ? and choose to buy recycled products instead of the new one to close the loop.
Learn about the process and impacts of our production and consumption patterns, and the role of recycling, at the Story of Stuff (20 minutes).
How you can do it?
Before you make a purchase, ask yourself 3 simple questions:
- Do I actually need this?
- Is there an option with less plastic packaging?
- Is there an alternative made from recycled materials ?
Be aware that recycling rules may change, and aren’t necessarily always the ‘best’ option. In other words, ‘reduce’ should still be your top priority. In saying that, you can still work towards becoming an expert recycler using these tips:
- Find out what’s recyclable in your area
- Check the rules for recycling in your area (e.g. which items to separate, rinse or take to a specialist collection point ).
- Ask what can and can’t go in your recycling bins (for example, many recycling systems can’t take old toys, clothing, scrap metal or some types of plastic) ( LDPE Film )
Taking the next steps
We’ve become a plastic scraps products, or products wrapped in plastic packaging. You can be part of the solution to get out of this mentality, by actively choosing to avoid single-use plastic products.
If you are not able to recycle items in your municipal system, search for special recycling companies near you such as TerraCycle or REDcycle.
You can also support campaigns such as:
- Local and on-shore recycling facilities, to reduce the pollution caused by transporting goods.
- Governments to regulate manufacturers to minimise packaging and use sustainable materials.
- Governments holding manufacturers accountable by implementing extended producer responsibility schemes.
All of the oil, water and other resources used to make products is wasted if those products aren’t recycled.
By reducing, reusing, and recycling, you can help minimise landfill waste.
See more LDPE Injection Grade